thanks for the reply.  i found a followup on this problem from sasha
("Follow up on aborted connections bug in 3.23.31"), but wading through
the archive searching for the original thread hasn't ended up being
successful yet.  anyone know offhand in which thread this was originally
discussed?

not all of these errors are coming from php connections.  does php have
some related issue with this also?

-tcl.

ps- i like these informative changelog entries:

. "Fixed security bug in something (please upgrade if you are using a earlier MySQL
3.23 version)."
. "Fixed buffer overflow bug when writing a certain error message."