Thanks for looking at my problem and giving me a hint.

> Do a myisamchk on your table.  It sounds like you're having
> trouble with a corrupted index.

First run of myisamchk indicated "1 clients is using or hasn't closed the
table properly"

I ran myisamchk -r on the shop.MYI and got the message "Fixing index 1"

Select still failing.  Here is dialog again followed by a myisamchk -eiv
output.

Meanwhile, I am loading latest mySQL onto a different server running Linux
6.2 distribution with minimal packages installed.  (One box is at work,
other box at home - makes for difficult dialog).

mysql> select * from shop;
+---------+--------+-------+
| article | dealer | price |
+---------+--------+-------+
|    0001 | A      |  3.45 |
|    0001 | B      |  3.99 |
|    0002 | A      | 10.99 |
|    0003 | B      |  1.45 |
|    0003 | C      |  1.69 |
|    0003 | D      |  1.25 |
|    0004 | D      | 19.95 |
+---------+--------+-------+
7 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql> select * from shop where price>10;
Empty set (0.01 sec)

mysql> quit
Bye
[root@Wallace bin]# myisamchk -eiv /var/lib/mysql/test/shop.MYI
Checking MyISAM file: /var/lib/mysql/test/shop.MYI
Data records:       7   Deleted blocks:       0
- check file-size
- check key delete-chain
block_size 1024:
- check record delete-chain
No recordlinks
- check index reference
- check data record references index: 1
Key:  1:  Keyblocks used:   5%  Packed:   72%  Max levels:  1
Total:    Keyblocks used:   5%  Packed:   72%

- check records and index references
Records:                 7    M.recordlength:       33   Packed:
0%
Recordspace used:      100%   Empty space:           0%  Blocks/Record:
1.00
Record blocks:           7    Delete blocks:         0
Record data:           231    Deleted data:          0
Lost space:              0    Linkdata:              0

User time 0.03, System time 0.01
Maximum resident set size 0, Integral resident set size 0
Non physical pagefaults 27, Physical pagefaults 210, Swaps 0
Blocks in 0 out 0, Messages in 0 out 0, Signals 0
Vouluntary context switches 0, Invouluntary context switches 0
[root@Wallace bin]#

Any clues here?  Thanks for looking.

John