Well, I loaded mySQL 3.23.32 onto my RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14-5.0 box, and
the installation appears to have gone well.  I ran through the problem
selects in the tutorial and of course it works properly.  (Tutorial steps at
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Tutorial.html#Exam
ples )  (yes, some newbies read the docs!)

I will now have to attempt removal of mySQL from my RH 7.0 box and install
this latest version.

What I find terribly troubling is that the 7.0 box is a straight off the
disk install of Linux w/mySQL on a clean machine and this "silent" failure
occurred.  What if the error had not been so significant?

Thanks for the suggestions I rec'd from this group.

John Wallace