The socket is not running because mysqld returns : daemon ended as he wrote
;P
try either: safe_mysqld
or uninstalling:  rmp -e doesn't work? maybe you installed an rpm for
another distribution (i did the same last week ;)), try to remove it via
yast (if you got SuSE). It didn't work for me, but give it a try, as soon as
my friend returns I can tell you how he could remove this "unremovable" rpm
and finally install and start mysql via tarball...

gr33tz - Jim

P.S. please send mail to list and copy to the client!!!!! not vice-versa :(