Well, there are a few reasons..  We have a system with 4 8G drives..  If we
use one for root and one to mirror that root, we have 2 drives left.  Now,
if we raid those 2 remaining drives (RAID5) we get about 12 Gigs of space
available...  If we merely use one of the remaining drives completely, and
use the last one to mirror it, we have 8 gigs available.  On the root drive,
however, there will be an additional 4 gigs of space not used..  so again,
we're at 12 gigs, but with a higher redundancy value.

So, I want to be able to put tables in /mysql/data (8 gig mirrored) and
/data (4 gig mirrored on the root drive) so I can still use 12 gigs of space
with better redundancy...

As an aside here, does anyone have any decent information on Linux software
raids?  We have been having a large problem with them failing for no
apparent reason and I've lost enough data to last me a lifetime...  (all
backed up now...)

Jason H. Frisvold
Senior ATM Engineer
Engineering Dept.
Penteledata
CCNA Certified - CSCO10151622
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by." -- Douglas Adams