On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 05:08:46PM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 10:57:16PM +0800, Sam Wong wrote:
> > > So why isn't the --with-raid option set in the binary download version?
> >
> > The file will be bigger and slower in result
>
> I doubt it would be significantly bigger. I believe --with-raid
> support is a very small and simple layer between mysqld and the file
> i/o system calls.

At the open source database summit, I asked Monty why it wasn't
enabled in the binaries they provide, and he said that it was for
performance reasons. On each table open, MySQL has to see if it is a
RAID table and do a bit of extra work.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "slower in result".

He has estimated it as a performance hit of a "few percent", but if
your tables stay open (because you don't have many, or you have a
good-sized table cache) it really shouldn't be an issue.

He said that MaxSQL would have many of the compile-time options
enabled for folks who still wanted to use a binary release. But it
doesn't appear to have materialized...

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>