This underscores a problem I have found with a few asp-driven college
websites. Ungodly long URLs are used to address some of their pages.
When I have inquired about this, and how to tell a friend where to
find particular information, I was simply informed that this was a
characterisitic of the system they used. I am using URL fields, but
in a few instances, I have had to look for a page with a shorter
address to enter. This is not just a mysql problem; the schools with
systems like this need to address the business down-side of the
difficulty in doing a referral.

On 29 Jan 2001, at 22:07, Jeremy D. Zawodny wrote:

> I have no idea what this error is trying to tell me...
>
> I have a table called "Headlines" which contains a VARCHAR(255) field
> called "Url". I need to store larger values in the "Url" column, so I
> want to convert it to TINYTEXT.
>
> ---snip---
>
> mysql> alter table Headlines modify Url TINYTEXT NOT NULL;
>
> ERROR 1170: BLOB column 'Url' used in key specification without a key
> length
>
> ---snip---
>
> There is currently a unique index on the Url column. The manual states
> that one can have an index on a BLOB column:
>
>     http://www.mysql.com/doc/B/L/BLOB.html
>
> So I don't see the problem.
>
> A search of the mail archives has turned up nothing. A search of
> google also turned up nothing helpful.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> This is MySQL 3.23.29.
>
> Jeremy
> --
> Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
> Desk: (408) 328-7878    Fax: (408) 530-5454
> Cell: (408) 439-9951

John Jensen
520 Goshawk Court
Bakersfield, CA 93309