Can someone give me the mysqladmin line to log debugging activity:

tried mysqladmin -debug /var/log/mylog

to no avail.

Also, how do you start mysql with logging on, not update, just to log
connections as they occur so I can identify problems.

I can log in such as mysql -u ^&( as localhost), but can't figure out
where the mysql.server script gets called. It's not in the init.d
directory, but mysql is available once my machine is booted. I need to
be able to log mysql activity to figure out where I'm screwing up with
my php scripts, i think?

thanx