As for documentation, does this count?
http://www.mysql.com/doc/R/e/Reserved_words.html

Or, to quote from section 7.39 of the manual, which the above link will take you to:

"7.39 Is MySQL Picky About Reserved Words?
A common problem stems from trying to create a table with column names that use the
names of datatypes or functions built into MySQL, such as TIMESTAMP or GROUP. You're
allowed to do it (for example, ABS is an allowed column name), but whitespace is not
allowed between a function name and the `(' when using functions whose names are also
column names.

The following words are explicitly reserved in MySQL. Most of them are forbidden by
ANSI SQL92 as column and/or table names (for example, group). A few are reserved
because MySQL needs them and is (currently) using a yacc parser: " <snip following
list of reserved words>

Also, the MySQL documentation is very clear in what words are reserved words, and even
in which release they became so.

As far as I'm concerned, such clear documenting of the situation precludes this being
a secret, much less a dirty one...

Mark Chalkley

******** END OF ORIGINAL TEXT *********