> How do you decide when a table should go into another database.  For
> example, I have a database with about 12 tables and growing.  I keep
> them in one database because I am doing joins that periodically involve
> all of the tables.  Is this the right way to do it?
>
> Richard

Richard, I'm not sure about right or wrong ways ... but I've got a
system which creates two tables per day, keeps 60 days worth of data
in the current database, and rolls tables off the end into a history
database every night.

The current database actually has about 150 tables in it (there are
quite a few which stay in place). Realistically, the server won't
support queries over 60 tables (and who's surprised?), so I've got
scripts which do nightly summaries which get dropped into extra
tables. It might sound a little clumsy, but having tried Perl scripts
which prepare and select on 60 tables to answer a query, for performance
reasons, summary tables are the way to go.

Occasionally, the system *does* get queries on about 50% of the
available tables, but the users are made aware that it won't be fast !

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Paul Wilson
Senior Programmer, iinet Ltd