I think 12 tables is not a large number by any means.
If they _logically_ form one database, I'd not bother about the number.
Only if performance problems pop up, and are positively recognized as being caused
by too many files in the database directory, I'd start looking for a solution.
Which need not mean splitting the database up.
Why not look for a better-suited filesystem?
ReiserFS can handle huge directories without performance loss.

Jan