Gábor Lénárt writes:
 > On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 02:38:11PM +0200, Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:
 > > Hi!
 > >
 > > I have just tested your case on my Linux and it worked just fine.
 > >
 > > What OS is that and are you using our binaries. If not, please do.
 >
 > OK, I will (but it takes some time to download).
 > Till that I have got a more accurate bug report on this topic.
 > I created a test table containing only an 'auto_increment' field named 'id'.
 > If I insert values with '0' as id in the insert query, everything works
 > fine (incremented values).
 > AND NOW THE TRICK:
 > I inserted -1 to the table.
 > And after THIS, all of my insert queries even with id 0 in the query result
 > in -1 !!!!! But this is not the end. If I delete all ids smaller than 1,
 > then I try to insert some data with id 0, I've got -1 AGAIN!
 >
 > So it seems that the table store the last insert id value, and if it's -1,
 > it stucks. Older MySQL versions were fine. It's hard because I've got many
 > LARGE tables with complex applications that use the technique to have
 > auto_increment value, BUT mark some fields with negative numbers as IDs
 > for special purposes not listed normally (where id>0).
 >
 > The really annoying bug, that even after I delete all of my negative id'ed
 > records, the next insert will result in -1 too ;-(
 >
 > So I have to delete all negative ids, dump the table, then recreate and reload
 > just for kick last insert id value for a table out from that bad state?
 > With my databases it will be very hard work for the hw, not counting other
 > problems.
 >
 > What's your opponion on this?
 >
 > Thanx a lot.
 >
 > - Gabor
 >
 > --
 >  --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]--
 >  U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!
 >  -------[ +36 30 2270823 ]------> LGB <-----[ Linux/UNIX/8bit 4ever ]-----

Hi!

The above is actually documented behaviour.

Entering negative values and negative values in general, are  actually
not suported  in auto_increment columns.

Regards,

Sinisa

     /*/\*\/\*\   /*/ \*\ /*/ \*\ |*|     Sinisa Milivojevic
    /*/ /*/ /*/   \*\_   |*|   |*||*|     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             /*/             \*\                Developers Team