You might be able to use this, depending on your needs:

from http://www.mysql.com/doc/D/A/DATETIME.html

[snip]
 Automatic updating of the first TIMESTAMP column occurs under any of the
following conditions:
The column is not specified explicitly in an INSERT or LOAD DATA INFILE
statement.
The column is not specified explicitly in an UPDATE statement and some
other column changes value. (Note that an UPDATE that sets a column to the
value it already has will not cause the TIMESTAMP column to be updated,
because if you set a column to its current value, MySQL ignores the update
for efficiency.)
You explicitly set the TIMESTAMP column to NULL.
[/snip]

.. Atle