Atle, your suggestion is for the last time a record was updated. I am
interested in the entire table.

The closest that I have seen thus far is:
    SHOW TABLE STATUS
The Update_time field is most likely what I am after.

However I was hoping to do something more like

    select Update_time from table(x) status

Giving me one value back - the Update_time for table "x" of current
database.

Perhaps this is a candidate for function extension?

Jay

> You might be able to use this, depending on your needs:
>
> from http://www.mysql.com/doc/D/A/DATETIME.html
>
> [snip]
>  Automatic updating of the first TIMESTAMP column occurs under any of the
> following conditions:
> The column is not specified explicitly in an INSERT or LOAD DATA INFILE
> statement.
> The column is not specified explicitly in an UPDATE statement and some
> other column changes value. (Note that an UPDATE that sets a column to the
> value it already has will not cause the TIMESTAMP column to be updated,
> because if you set a column to its current value, MySQL ignores the update
> for efficiency.)
> You explicitly set the TIMESTAMP column to NULL.
> [/snip]
>

> .. Atle
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Jay Lawrence wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Is there a way to quickly obtain the last time a table was
updated/touched?

> > In my app I am caching queries so long as the table data has not
changed. I'd like a quick check to see if a table has changed since the
query was first executed. My perusal of documentation plus a few searches on
mailing lists has not uncovered this matter - but I could have missed it.