Hello,

I have a high volume database driven website run on apache webservers using
php and mysql.

I am using mysql_connect() to establish the connection from the web servers
(there are 2) to the db server. The servers are all in the same location,
with a private network set up between them. I was wondering what the
advantages and disadvantages are to using mysql_pconncect instead of
mysql_connect.

My max_connections in mysql is set to 256, and the number of processes each
apache webserver can have simultaneously is 256, so we would have to either
raise max_connections or lower apache processes.

Right now, using mysql_connect, there can be anywhere from 0-10 connections
at a given time. If we'd use mysql_pconnect, the number would increase
drastically, but it may also decrease the time it takes for a page to load.

What is your opinion on this? Is it worth increasing max_connections /
decreasing apache max processes to do this? Is the increase in speed worth
the additional overhead?

Chana Black