Hi!

I've been monitoring this list for a while now (re: lurking), I've seen only
passing comments about embedding MySQL, so I thought I would come out and
directly ask the MySQL community for your opinions, or better yet, actual
facts - based on experience.

I am evaluating MySQL / Linux for use in a line of deeply embedded,
multi-node, real-time SCADA products.
Where:
   deeply embedded = headless platform, no user interaction (not even via
telnet),
                                no administration interaction, required to
operate for years without restart.
   multi-node = 1 to N processor boards, sharing a common bus (VME, CPCI),
not SMP.
   And,
     * Database size: between 10K - 250K records
             - where once the records have been created, they are only
updated, typically
               between several 100 to several 1,000 UPDATES / second.
     * No moving parts (no fan, no hard disk, no CD, no floppy, no noth'n).
     * Memory size is not an issue (can add more as required); CPU power is
not an issue (re: Moore's Law)

(The actual requirements are not as extreme as depicted here, but I want to
push the envelope.)

I am convinced that MySQL / Linux will work in such as environment.

But, the real question(s) is:
Can they (MySQL / Linux) work in such an environment, continuously, without
error or failure, or requiring operator intervention, for years on end?
For this environment, is the MySQL / Linux combo a good idea?
Or, should I stick with Linux, but seek out an alternate DBMS?
Or, should I drop Linux and go with Windows CE, or some other RTOS?
Or, should I stop being a software developing and become a sheepherder?

      David Vance
      Senior Software Developer
      GE Harris Energy Control Systems Canada, Inc.
      2728 Hopewell Place NE
      Calgary, Alberta,Canada T1Y 7J7
      +1 (403) 214-4543
  +1 (403) 287-7946