Thank you, Ryan,
but the PERL code runs perfectly if I try it on any other field.  It just
doesn't run on THIS field.  It's not a SPECIAL field in any way (like PRI
Key or Unique or anything like that).  When I run it in a compound statement
like

"update accounts set users=10, loggedin=10 where username='user'"

-- the users field updates but the loggedin field does not.  Both fields
have exactly the same definition int(11).  Plus the exact same query updates
BOTH from the command line -- though only the one field in PERL.

Thank you very much,
Laszlo