Am I the only one with problems with mod_auth_mysql?

When trying to install Apache 1.3.17 with mod_auth_mysql 2.20
the compilation of apache fails. This seems to be because
mod_auth_mysql wants to use alloc (from apache), but
its name has changed to ap_alloc.

I just changed alloc.h to ap_alloc.h in the mod_auth_mysql
Makefile. Not sure if this is ok, but then apache compiles
without trouble...

Fine and dandy. Until I try to access a page under the
webserver that uses the mod_auth_mysql module. Then the
forked apache child dies with segmentation fault:

[Sat Feb 17 16:52:59 2001] [notice] Apache/1.3.17 (Unix) AuthMySQL/2.20
         PHP/4.0.4pl1 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sat Feb 17 16:54:45 2001] [notice] child pid 11745 exit signal
         Segmentation fault (11)

Does anybody know if the mod_auth_mysql module still is
developed actively? It seems that no new version has been
released in years.

Are there any other (maybe better) authentication modules
for apache and mysql?

Regards,
Erik Tjernlund
Stockholm, Sweden