By "even as root", do you mean that you did something like this:

$ mysqldump -u root -p db_name > db_name.sql

?  The "root" user *in* MySQL should have privileges to run
mysqldump.  Describe the situation in a little more detail if
you're still having problems - like:
   * what is the exact mysqldump command you are trying