make sure that you set the sock parameter in both the [client] and [mysqld]
sections of the configuration file.  This is one of my favorite errors :-/

Best,
Kyle

On Monday 26 February 2001 12:04, Joel Gwynn wrote:
> I tried /etc/my.cnf and got the same results.  As far as $DATADIR or $HOME
> are concerned, I don't see them when I do 'printenv'.  Is there another way
> to find out if those may be set, and by what?
>
> thanks.
>
> At 02:33 PM 2/26/01 -0500, Kent Hoover wrote:
> >Sorry. Sent the last message before I was done....
> >
> >If you have a stray $DATADIR/my.cnf or a $HOME/.my.cnf, their
> >contents will override what you have set in /etc/my.cnf.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Kent

> Joel Gwynn                            Designers' CADD Company, Inc.
> A bus station is where a bus stops.
> A train station is where a train stops.
> So now you know why they call this a workstation...

Kyle Hayes
Quicknet Technologies              t: +1 415 864 5225
520 Townsend St. Suite D          f: +1 415 864 8388
San Francisco, CA 94103         w: http://www.quicknet.net
USA

"HEAR THE DIFFERENCE" with a live MICROTELCO demo at:
Computer Telephony EXPO, Mar 6-8, Los Angeles, CA

MicroTelco is a revolutionary service that brings multiple Internet
Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs) together in a convenient,
simple to use account center for greater reliability and flexibility.
For more information visit: http://www.microtelco.com.