On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Nathan Clemons wrote:

> Can't you do something with SUM() to get the results, possibly in
> coordination with GROUP BY?
>
> --Nathan

Not to my knowledge/imagination. What are you going to group by? You want and
incremental grouping or better you want a dynamic calculation on a very specific
subset of the rows (0->current_row) while current_row inrcrements through the result.
This cannot be done in a query and probably not in SQL at all.

I can only imagine this as a loop in a higher level language (take your pick:
perl/php/C). I would start thinking of creating a temporary table with
Id,Month,Sum(sales) and from there getting the runnning sales (the Id would range from
1->12).

dummy_code follows:

for(curr_count=1;curr_count<=12;curr_count++){
        pose_query("select curr_count,sum(sales_per_month) from temp_table where
id<=curr_count");
}

Maybe I'm too tired to see straight and the answer is looking at me straight in the
face but that was my $0.02 anyhow.

regards,
thalis