My database was working fine then the server crashed and now I am getting
this error:

ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (111)

I have checked and verified that the file exists:

srwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            0 Jan 16 23:00 mysql.sock

        It seems to have 0 bytes but it is there. I have rebooted my server, and I
am still getting the error. I don't want to lose what I have in my database
is there anyway of fixing this, I have searched the documentation and the
only thing on mysql.sock is how to protect it from being deleted. Any help
on how to go about fixing this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.