On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Kevin Connolly wrote:

> Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:15:17 -0000 > From: Kevin Connolly
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] > Subject: file insertion? > >
Hi, > Is it possible to insert a file into the MySQL database? I want a table
= > with certain entries such as name, address etc. but I also I a photo for
= > each member. Is that possible? > Thanks, > Kev. >

First question, how large are the files containing the photo? This will
determine what kind of blob(binary large object) you would use.  Note, it
this is the only variable size field in the table it will force all text
fields over (2 bytes I think) to become varchar.  If you add AND delete
records this could lead to the need to run special tools to recover the
space.

Second, why not store the address of a file with the picture in the
database rather than the picture itself.  Particularly if this is to
support a web project, the address is actually more useful since you can
have the webserver get the picture rather than the database.  In any
event, passing a large amount of data from the database will hold open
the connection longer.

Sincerely,

William Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
CyberStrategies, Inc
ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27