When you reimported the text file, did you include REPLACE?  For example:
LOAD DATA INFILE 'textfile.txt' REPLACE INTO TABLE table_name;

Tracy

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of scott
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2001 4:19 PM
To: MySQL
Subject: Changing column type

I reimported the text file which should overwrite the data right which
did not work.  If not how do I overwrite the data?

You are expecting an awfull lot from mysql to remember data that it
never
recorded. When you inserted something into the varchar(50) column that
was
longer than 50 it dropped the rest of the string that would not fit.
Changing the column size will not bring back the data.

ryan