On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 12:00:57AM +0200, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
> >om scalar to scalar or to void type.
> >cc: "os0thread.c", line 69: error 1554: Indirection must be through a pointer.
> >cc: "os0thread.c", line 69: warning 563: Argument #2 is not the correct type.
> >cc: "os0thread.c", line 69: error 1718: Types are not assignment-compatible.
> >cc: "os0thread.c", line 69: warning 563: Argument #3 is not the correct type.
> >cc: "os0thread.c", line 69: warning 604: Pointers are not
> >assignment-compatible.
> >cc: "os0thread.c", line 69: warning 563: Argument #4 is not the correct type.
> >gmake[4]: *** [os0thread.o] Error 1
> >I have not yet analyzed the precise reason of the failure. Since it affects
> >thread functions and the platform is HP-UX 10.20, I am not sure whether
> >there is a solution at all.

> But the easiest solution probably is to use the GNU C compiler if you
> have one on your machine. I have not compiled Innobase on the HP's
> commercial compiler and it will take some time to eliminate all
> compiler warnings there. Also the 'inline' keyword and inlined
> functions will probably cause problems on the HP compiler.

Ok, let's try to narrow things down: I have switched to GCC for the time
being and got a similar compile error:
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../../include -I../include    -O6 -DDBUG_OFF
-DHPUX -I/opt/dce/include  -DHAVE_BROKEN_SNPRINTF -c os0thread.c
os0thread.c: In function `os_thread_get_curr_id':
os0thread.c:29: aggregate value used where an integer was expected
os0thread.c: In function `os_thread_create':
os0thread.c:69: warning: dereferencing `void *' pointer
os0thread.c:69: invalid use of void expression
gmake[4]: *** [os0thread.o] Error 1

Since threads are not well supported in HP-UX 10.20 I don't have experience
with threads. I can send you the thread header files, if you think this
might help.

> I will check how one could generate makefiles with less strict
> warnings control. One possibility is to create a file Makefile.i to
> the directory:
>  ...your mysql source dir... /innobase/include
>
> and put the following define there:
>
> CFLAGS = -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../../include -I../include  -DHPUX
> -Dinline= -I/opt/dce/include -I/usr/local/include  -O -DDBUG_OFF
>
> It should override the flags generated by automake.
> Then go to the innobase subdirectory and regenerate new Makefiles:
>
> automake
> autoconf
> ./configure
>
> Ignore the warnings automake and autoconf give. Then type
>
> make
>
> Probably you will get new errors from the HP compiler now :), I can help you
> tomorrow if you report the next problems you encounter.

Actually, I don't get any error. It steps into each directory and has nothing
to do at all. Seems the .o and .c files are not propagated into the Makefiles.

Best regards,
        Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BTU Cottbus               http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/