I've found that past versions of MySQL ship with a version of safe_mysqld
that reads the config file itself and only passes on a few of the parameters.
We had to rewrite our own version to allow mysqld to actually parse the stuff
on its own.  Note that the my.cnf file that ships often seems to put the
error log entry in the [mysqld] section which causes mysqld to stop with an
error because it doesn't understand it if you run mysqld directly.

I am assuming you are using Linux/Unix here.  If it is Windows, I can't help
:-)

If you are using Linux/Unix, look through safe_mysqld and make sure that it
will correctly pass these parameters through to mysqld.  We had to make
changes to get the logs to work the way we wanted them and eventually wrote
our own version.  Our version is not publically available, sorry.

Best,
Kyle

On Wednesday 14 March 2001 04:16, Bill Marrs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like to run mysqld with these 3 options:
>
> --log-slow-queries
> --delay-key-write-for-all-tables
> --skip-networking
>
> But, so far, I've been unable to get mysqld to read them out of
> /etc/my.cnf. Here's what's inside my /etc/my.cnf:
>
> [mysql.server]
> log-slow-queries
> delay-key-write-for-all-tables
> skip-networking
>
> Am I doing this wrong?
>
> I looked, but I didn't find any documentation of how to format simple
> options like this in /etc/my.cnf.   ...or perhaps, I have them under the
> wrong header (is "mysql.server" correct?)
>
> ....or perhaps I just can't set these options in /etc/my.cnf.  Currently, I
> set them by editing the mysql start script, adding them to the safe_mysqld
> line.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> -bill

"HEAR THE DIFFERENCE" with a live MicroTelco Gateway
  demo at: Voice on the Net (VON), March 20-23, Phoenix AZ.

For more information visit: http://www.microtelco.com.