"Jeremy D. Zawodny" wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 07:19:24AM -0800, abdelhamid bettache wrote:

> > 2- I have to design a database for all universities of my country ,
> > Is it better to consider one database for each university or one
> > database for all universities .  Note that a query on a table
> > "student" would be more quick if I use for every university its own
> > student table .
>
> If the data structures are identical, there should be little need to
> split them out into their own tables. Speed shouldn't be an issue if
> it is indexed properly.

I agree, indexes on the right columns and it souldn't matter much
if it is in table or 10 as far as query speed goes.

BUT... If you don't need the data all in the same table (you will
not be doing queries where you dont' know which table
the data would come from)... there are advanatages to splitting.

Faster recovery (if you have one table go bad or get bad data in it),
faster index rebuild on recovery,
things that cause table locks on MyISAM tables won't impact as many users,
less problem with max file limits

on the other hand
maintenance can be a bit more of a headache,
more file handlers possibly needed,
can't do groups an summaries with all data easily (see MERGE tables it
may be ideal for you if there is a logical split).

If there is a local place to split (you will easily know which table
to query for a given piece of data), I say go for the split if you will
have very big tables (and especially big indexes).