OH!  You're running Apache.  Why didn't you say so?

Can I also assume that the Apache processes are the clients of Mysql?

You can throttle back Apache to prevent a system crash much easier than you
can throttle Mysql (IMHO).

Use a line like this in Apache's httpd.conf file:

MaxClients 50

This will limit the number of apache (httpd) processes and thus keep your
memory usage and load under control.

User of the web site may have slower page load times, but the system will
not crash.

You can of course try increasing the number, maybe 100 would work better
for you.

Have you looked at memory usage when your system is at "100% CPU" (I don't
even know what 100% CPU means, personally).  I used to have problems with
my system running out of memory, it would start to "page its brains out"
and eventually the system would crash.  MaxClients solved that problem for me.

I'm using mod_perl though, and my httpds have a large memory footprint, so
maybe this solution only applies well to that case.

-bill