it looks like that:

[MySQL]
mysql.default_socket    = </path/to/mysql/socket>

but I think thats not the problem. has your apache enough rights to access
the directory /var/lib/mysql ? if not edit /etc/group an add "apache" to
group "mysql".
-> "mysql:x:27:apache" or something similar, then make "chmod g+rx
/var/lib/mysql", this should work. if not try to make a "chmod o+rx
/var/lib/mysql", this should always work, but I think it isn´t a good idea
to leave it that way.

Egon

---
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]