On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 09:09:41AM -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2001 07:58, Richard Ellerbrock wrote:
> >
> > Also, it would be REALLY cool to be able to specify a time limit
> > for a select after which time it would die. I know this can be set
> > globally, but this will not work for me as my server has many web
> > apps (php driven) all using the same database - each app having
> > different requirements. What grinds me is that some users enter
> > crap searches on my apps and then hit the stop/cancel button when
> > it takes too long. I know in upcoming versions of php they plan to
> > somehow "fix" this - how I do not know. Oh yes, my databases are
> > normalised.
>
> For now the workaround would be to write a daemon or a cron job that
> connects to MySQL once in a while, runs show full processlist, check
> the execution time and command type, and kills all threads that have
> exceeded the limit on select.

The major downside of that is that it will kill the client's
connection to the database (maybe casing to think the db server
died). Will there be an enhancement to the MySQL protocol in 4.x to
allow for a more graceful "query timed out" response to the client?

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance