Hi.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 11:57:09AM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Disk speed and memory is more relevant than CPU speed most times, so
> > you should include that info in your comparison.
>
> This is the fun part :). Machine which is the fastest with old mysql
> and Debian has  IDE HDD and 128 MB RAM, RH7 machine (dual PIII and new
> mysql) has SCSI RAID and 512 MB RAM, same with FreeBSD server.

Some RAID levels are slower than normal disks, because they
concentrate on redundancy and not on speed. Which RAID level do you
use?

> >And how big is your table in bytes (not rows).
>
> Little more than 12 MB

Okay, that means, memory is no problem. And disks shouldn't be a
problem either, because the table fits into memory. (Sorry, don't
remember the test case anymore. Did it contain INSERTs/UPDATEs?)

> > I would start with comparing the output of mysqladmin variables
>
> Already did this. Machines with new mysql have ALL bigger values
> (key-buffer, sort-buffer etc) than this old mysql. And we tested them with
> same values too... nothing, still alot slower :(

Well.

> > Next, compare the output of EXPLAIN for all machines. In any case, it
> > should be the same for the same MySQL versions. If it differs for any
> > of the test cases, this could cause the speed difference.
>
> Yes, they are same with same versions of MySQL.

This implies, they are not the same for different versions of MySQL?
Then, as I said, this is the probably cause for the speed difference.

Could you post the output of both, please?

Bye,

        Benjamin.