Hi,

The short version:

Does anyone know an automated way of keeping two MySQL db's (located on
different machines) in sync? A small window of non-sync could be acceptable.

The long version:

I'm working on a project which basically is about capturing a lot of data
from different places and storing them in a central database. Once there we
make a lot of interpreting of the data etc. So far we've used a proprietery
distributed database/information forwarding solution. Some of the data
inquires are suited to be stated in SQL. For that purpose we regularilly
export subsets of the data to a MySQL db and from there extract the compiled
data. The export routines take a lot of time, hence we would like to do the
export routines work parallel with the rest of operations. This isn't a
problem initself.

While our project grows we get more and more demands on how the thing should
work. One thing is redundancy. To cope with that in this specific instance
we would like to have an auto-magical way of synchronizing two different
db's (located on different machines). Does anyone know a way to do this?

One, obvious, way would be to have a gathering point previous to the MySQL
db. From there we could make sure all data is inserted in both db's. Since
we have our own solution of how to get the data that far this isn't a
problem initself. The problem is that so far we've managed to let different
applications change things in the db directly. Those changes would have to
be auto-magically reflected to the other db's as well. This part is what we
like to auto-magically automate. (It wouldn't be acceptable to require all
'analyzing' apps to update all db's by themselves.)
One way would of course be to build a through'n'through multi-tier solution
where the db is simply the local db for each 'node'. This has two
down-sides. One is the development cost of such a system (_big_). The other
is performance. The extra (real-time) abstraction layer would most propably
have a performance hit on the system. And we're really short on resources
(the data amount in from time to time enormous). So once again, has anyone
done something like this? Any experiences to share? Any pointers to where to
start and look?

Should I forward this message to somewhere else?

--
Aigars Grins