It seems like those directories are owned by someone other than the user
that MySQL runs under.  chown them to the user MySQL runs under.  In the
future, posting info about MySQL ownership, who you're logged in as when
running safe_mysqld, ownership and permissions on problem files, OS, etc.
will get you better responses since they can all be important to solving the
problem.

--
Steve Werby
President, Befriend Internet Services LLC

"Graham Nichols" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
safe_mysqld --log &

I get the error message

[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]$ Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/usr/local/var
./scripts/safe_mysqld: /usr/local/var/www.server-1.com.err: Permission
denied
rm: cannot remove `/usr/local/var/www.server-1.com.pid': Permission denied
./scripts/safe_mysqld: /usr/local/var/www.server-1.com.err: Permission
denied
./scripts/safe_mysqld: /usr/local/var/www.server-1.com.err: Permission
denied
mysqld daemon ended

How do I cure this please? Once I know this, I'm off the runway at long
last!!!

regards,   Graham