No this is not true...  a lot of the stability of the database server has
to do with the #1 the load, and #2 the design of the database.  But no
MySQL should not be crashing this much.

Scott

At 05:26 PM 4/4/2001 +0200, Gunnar von Boehn wrote:

>Hello
>

>My provider 1&1-Puretec (www.puretec.de)
>hosting more than 1.000.000 domains
>runs about 14 Databaseserver with MySQL 3.22.32-log
>on Linux dual Penti-III 500Mhz machines.
>
>In the last 6 month the average uptime of the mysql-servers was around 8
>hours.
>
>As I asked them why their mysql-server die so often, I got their
>standard problem email-answer that claims "mysql is scaling rather badly".
>
>After further asking I got a personal answer that says:
>"it's normal the mysql-servers die because of heavy load".
>"We can't help that the mysql task keeps crashing if to many users access it.
>That's totally normal for a mysql database"
>

>Is that true?
>

>regards
>Gunnar von Boehn

Scott Baker - Webster Internet - Network Technician
503.266.8253 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It has been said that the primary function of schools is to impart enough
facts to make children stop asking questions. Some, with whom the schools
do not succeed, become scientists." - Knut Schmidt-Nielson