On Wed, 04 Apr 2001, Gunnar von Boehn wrote:
> Hello
>

> My provider 1&1-Puretec (www.puretec.de)
> hosting more than 1.000.000 domains
> runs about 14 Databaseserver with MySQL 3.22.32-log
> on Linux dual Penti-III 500Mhz machines.
>
> In the last 6 month the average uptime of the mysql-servers was around 8 hours.
>
> As I asked them why their mysql-server die so often, I got their
> standard problem email-answer that claims "mysql is scaling rather badly".
>
> After further asking I got a personal answer that says:
> "it's normal the mysql-servers die because of heavy load".
> "We can't help that the mysql task keeps crashing if to many users access it.
> That's totally normal for a mysql database"
>

> Is that true?

Only if their servers/queries are set up wrong. We use Sparc/Solaris exclusively
in our production network now but used to have more data than this hosted on a
similar machine. They could be telling the truth is they have huge queries that
lock the tables for extended periods. The table level locking of .ism tables can
cause problems on very busy servers. MySQL's newer tables avoid this problem
but I'm not sure how production ready they are.

                Nigel