I can understand not wanting to have holes, but..
If it is a primary key, how are you going to handle updating tables that
rely on that key id?

If your id numbers were to shift, like you want, and you had a related sub
table (one to many) and this was say, an shopping cart, then all of a sudden
customer A's line items are showing up in Customer B's and not customer A's

It is more common to to have reliable unique no shifting keys.

You can program in some logic that deletes all related records in related
tables, and then re-uses numbers if you want to 'fill' the holes, butis it
really worth it?

Holes are merely an aesthetic item in the vast majority of cases.

Auto_increment behavior is clearly documented in the manual.