> How would you actually overcome that? Wouldn't it be good if
> MySQL would be adapted to actually do this for you?

I think that not reusing deleted numbers is easier (i.e. more efficient).
IIRC, earlier versions of MySQL in fact reused the numbers.

There are 2 ways to overcome this:

1) Check if you really need to rely on numbers without any gaps. If you tell
us what you want to do, someone on the list may come up with a different
approach.
2) If you really need that behaviour, you shouldn't use auto_increment, but
write your own functions to get a unique key. I did this once (because I
needed to support some RDBMSs without auto_increment). It's not that
difficult.

Jens