From: Ian Corner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 08 April 2001 22:32
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: character set works via web but not at command line?

Hi (if needed you can find my environment setup below)
I wish to load some data files at the mysql command prompt but seem to be
failing due to Swedish characters being incorporated. Here is the error:
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'insert into category
(categoryid,description,xsectionid) values (
"HÓstar sÓljes"' at line 3

I was suprised as my web interface manages to place and retrieve Swedish
characters with no problems. Yet when I review table information at the
command prompt the Swedish characters are not visable.

Having read many messages and the "Languge" page in the document I still
have no answer as to why I can via the web, and why I cant via the data load
files?

I read a message dated early 2000 that compiling character sets was not
going to be need shortly as support for character sets was being developed.
Have I missed something?

I tried the "default-character-set" tag and I got an error that #10 was not
a compiled language? #10 being swe7 in the index file... and I figure
meaning Swedish. Whats happening and how do I resolve this.

In summary, I need to data load Swedish character files at the command line.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Ian
mySQL/Java environment -
os: w2000
mySQL server: v3.23.36
mySQL client: v3.23.33
IBM JVM 1.3
Web solution: JSP/Beans
Web server: Jakarta Tomcat (from Apache project)
Web JDBC: mm.mysql-2.0.4 and Poolman