"Ashley M. Kirchner" wrote:

>     Okay, I'm about to rip my hair out trying to figure this out, and I
> thought before I start looking for a gun, maybe I should ask..
>
>     I need someone to explain the 'mysql' database to me.  I've tried
> reading about it, tried different settings, but I'm lost.  So far I've
> just been adding users and db's to the 'db' and 'user' tables, but
> something tells me that's not all there is to it.
>
>     What are the other tables for?  And how's about adding a user that
> can only access (and change) their DB (assigned by me), and/or adding a
> (different) user that can create their own DB(s), yet not muck with
> anything else on the entire (mysql) system (and screw up other users).
>
>     I'm willing to entertain even more literature if that's easiest to
> point me to, but like I said, I've gone through the online docs, I've
> checked other resources online, and I'm still lost.
>
>     AMK4

Ashley:

mysqladmin create database phil;

INSERT INTO user (Host, User, Password, Select_priv, Insert_priv, Update_priv,
Delete_priv, Create_priv, Drop_priv, Reload_priv, Shutdown_priv, Process_priv,
File_priv, Grant_priv, References_priv, Index_priv, Alter_priv) VALUES
('localhost', 'phil', PASSWORD('password'), 'n', 'n', 'n', 'n', 'n', 'n', 'n',

INSERT INTO db (Host, Db, User, Select_priv,
Insert_priv, Update_priv, Delete_priv, Create_priv, Drop_priv, Grant_priv,
References_priv, Index_priv, Alter_priv) VALUES ('localhost', 'phil', 'phil',

mysqladmin reload.

Of course you can use the grant command, too, but, this works better for me.
Note that the db privs doesn't not give this user (Phil) grant privs.

Regards,
Van