Running mysql 3.22.32-log on Apache virtual server (FreeBSD)

I can restart my mysql daemon with ./bin/safe_mysqld - but it
only runs for a few hours before dying. Following hints from
both the manual and the list, I've tried several things...

I've deleted my mysql database and manually re-installed all
the tables (instead of using the mysql_install_db script which
wanted me to do a make compile)

I've looked at the error log, and see nothing that shows why
it is dying ( though when it starts it does have two messages -
 could they be related?)

Warning: setrlimit couldn't increase number of open files to
more than 164
Warning: Changed limits: max_connections: 30  table_cache: 62

I've had the logging on but see no queries that should be the
problem.

Nothing in the cron file

Any suggestions?