I know this is slightly off-topic but it's related to changing the
number of file descriptors on FreeBSD:
FreeBSD
by Torsten Sturm

How do I check my maximum filedescriptors?
Do sysctl -a and look for the value of kern.maxfilesperproc.

How do I increase them?
        sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=XXXX
        sysctl -w kern.maxfilesperproc=XXXX

Warning: You probably want maxfiles > maxfilesperproc if you're going
to be pushing the limit.

What is the upper limit?
I don't think there is a formal upper limit inside the kernel. All the
data structures are dynamically allocated. In practice there might be
unintended metaphenomena (kernel spending too much time searching
tables, for example).
The site is here: http://merlin.bmk.hu/Squid/FAQ-11.html