> This looks like a perfectly normal mysql truss.  Lots of disk I/O,
and
> it looks like you're got a pretty small record length (20-byte
reads?
> although the combo of lseek+read and pread on the same datafile is
> puzzling.  Maybe it's a table with a couple of INT/CHAR columns and
> BLOB column?).
Yes,  It does look normal!  The problem is there are normally about
100 threads running on this machine so it can be hard to see whats
going on.  We don't use BLOB columns,  and the databases (about 50)
have 68 tables each!  Normally CPU usage never runs abouve 20% to 25%.
Even at the busiest times. (so far).  But every day our servers are
getting busier.  The two most common tables used are a parts table and
account entry table.

> Does a "show processlist" say there's a query running?   An
interesting
> thing to see might be the output of a couple seconds of "iostat 1"
and
> "vmstat 1", to see how much disk and syscall activity there is.
Show processlist showed most of the processes sleeping and a couple of
selects going on,  but nothing unusual, unfortunately I did not save
the buffer(I will next time).  This has only happened twice so far
that I know of.  The first time was only last saturday.  I did include
the output from top,  but I understand the need for more detailed
info,  and will try to use iostat and vmstat next time.

Ken