Hi,

I'm running into troubles trying to connect to MySQL (version 4.0.18) via
TCP/IP. Connecting on the actual machine via Unix sockets works just
fine--it's solid as a rock. But as soon as I attempt to connect via TCP
(from either the local machine or a remote machine), mysqld crashes and I
get the "ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query" error.
This happens to me using both version 4.0.18 and 4.0.20 (I was running .20
and downgraded to .18 to see if that fixed the problem. It didn't, but I
haven't upgraded back to .20 again yet.)

So for instance, after starting mysqld, this works fine:

$ mysql -h localhost

But the following command does not:

$ mysql -h 127.0.0.1
ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Running "mysqladmin version" immediately after getting the error confirms
that the server did crash and come back up. If I telnet to 127.0.0.1 port
3306, it just immediately closes the connection. ("Connection closed by
foreign host.") Again, this is due to the server crashing.

I haven't been able to get any useful (to me, anyway) information out of
mysqld.err. I get a backtrace, but the stack trace ends in "New values of
fp=0x81bdea4 failed sanity check, terminating stack trace!" (which doesn't
look normal to me). When I try to follow the instructions at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Using_stack_trace.html, nm tells me there
are no symbols for mysqld. I'm not familiar with resolving stack traces, so
treat me as a newbie in that regard.

For that matter, it's entirely possible that I'm making a newbie mistake
somewhere else. If that's the case, please point me to a FAQ and flame away.
:) But I've read the docs and Googled this one pretty thoroughly, and
although I've found people that seem to have the same problem, I haven't yet
found the answer to that problem. Let me know if I can provide anything to
make the problem more clear. Thanks for your help!

Matt Winckler