Then I'd suggest you declare f1 as an AUTO_INCREMENT column in the target table, leave it out of the SELECT, and let it auto-generate IDs. Something like this:

  INSERT INTO original_table (f2, f3)
  SELECT DISTINCT f2, f3 FROM new_table;

I did that in the same order as your original message, though I'd have expected original_table and new_table to be swapped, based on their names.

See the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/INSERT_SELECT.html> for the details on INSERT...SELECT.

Michael

leegold wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:57:13 -0400, "Michael Stassen"