I now have multiple installations running on the same machine, and am also using
mysqld_multi.  However, even though it's working, there's one thing I don't
understand.  Why does the [mysqld_multi] section have to contain the pointers to
mysqld and mysqladmin?  It seems to me that it should just go right to the section
that's tied to the parameter given to the start script, i.e. "mysqld_multi start 1"
should go right to the [mysqld1] section and get the info it needs from there.
However, until I put both variables in the [mysqld_multi] section, it didn't work and
gave me an error that it was looking for mysqld and mysqladmin in the /var/lib/mysql
directory.  Here is my my.cnf file.

[mysqld_multi]
mysqld     = /usr/local/mysql420/bin/mysqld
mysqladmin = /usr/local/mysql420/bin/mysqladmin

[mysqld1]
basedir    = /usr/local/mysql420
mysqld     = /usr/local/mysql420/bin/mysqld
port       = 3307
socket     = /usr/local/mysql420/mysql420.sock
pid-file   = /usr/local/mysql420/my420.pid

[mysqld2]
basedir    = /usr/local/mysql500
mysqld     = /usr/local/mysql500/bin/mysqld
port       = 3306
socket     = /usr/local/mysql500/mysql500.sock
pid-file   = /usr/local/mysql500/my500.pid