From: "Chris McKeever" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Info" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: A new Machine

> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:18:06 -0700, Info <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > After 2 days in Microsoft HELL with my SQLsvr databases, I'm ready to
rob the piggy bank and build a new linux mysql server.   Here's my problem:
I have, at present, two rather large databases.  (A: 4Million records in one
table, 15 Million in another; B: 1.5Million and 5Million)  The databases are
relatively static.  That is, they they are updated by batch processes twice
per year or so.  They are realatively well normalized.  (I'd say well, but
that would be bragging. :)

> > The business is a "harvest type" of operation,  I ignore them for months
then beat them to death for 120 days.

> > I'm not rich, but what hardware and distro do you experts suggest?   (My
current Win2K server is a dual p3-650, 1gb with the databases on 2 36gb U160
10K drives. )   I've got no problem moving the drives out of that system
(especially since I just bought a new one...)    -- (I'd put my redhat 8 on
it this afternoon, except it also runs my exchange server and that's a
different migration...)