Chris McKeever wrote:

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:18:06 -0700, Info <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

After 2 days in Microsoft HELL with my SQLsvr databases, I'm ready to rob the piggy
bank and build a new linux mysql server.   Here's my problem:  I have, at present, two
rather large databases.  (A: 4Million records in one table, 15 Million in another; B:
1.5Million and 5Million)  The databases are relatively static.  That is, they they are
updated by batch processes twice per year or so.  They are realatively well
normalized.  (I'd say well, but that would be bragging. :)

The business is a "harvest type" of operation,  I ignore them for months then beat
them to death for 120 days.

I'm not rich, but what hardware and distro do you experts suggest?   (My current Win2K
server is a dual p3-650, 1gb with the databases on 2 36gb U160 10K drives. )   I've
got no problem moving the drives out of that system (especially since I just bought a
new one...)    -- (I'd put my redhat 8 on it this afternoon, except it also runs my
exchange server and that's a different migration...)

I would say it has more to do with what you are doing with the database (query request wise) than the size ---

I'd up the memory to 2GB and Just go with a single PIV 2.8
I'd suggest not buying a 'server' from a company, becuase they are
typically just really heavy desktops...
as for drives, I would raid 5 with at least 100GB - migrate towards
SATA if you can

RAID 5 is the wrong answer. If reliability is a big deal do mirroring. Otherwise get as much memory as you can afford and use any money left over to get the fastest disk drives you can afford. If you have multiple disks, spread things between different drives. OS on one, swap on another, indices on another, data on another, etc.

make sure that what ever apps you have running will be easily migrated
to making the calls against MySQL - some of the SQL is different (ie
LIMIT instead of TOP, no stored procedures, different foreign key
relationships, etc..)

sign me...
Fed up at the Beach...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]