Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:30:04 +0300
   To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   From: Egor Egorov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Subject: Re: anonymous localhost user in mysql user grant table

   "rusty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   > What's the purpose of the entry in the user table where it has
   > host='localhost' and user='' (blank) and all of the permissions set to N?

   You may want to look at

   http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Privilege_system.html

   and

   http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/User_Account_Management.html

I have read them and just now re-read them in case I overlooked
anything.  The only place where I find anything specific about the
anonymous user is section 5.5.8, "causes of access denied errors", but
it only explains an effect from the existence of the anonymous user,
not why the account was set up by the mysql_install_db program.

I didn't find anything related to my original question, "is this some
sort of security safety net and it would be dangerous to delete it?
Or is it an example of setting up an anonymous locahost user and it's
safe to delete it?"

I'm trying to understand the purpose of the anonymous account; is it
needed specifically in order to run a more secure mysql server, does
it help prevent break-ins, etc.?