[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
The anonymous account IS a security risk and should be deleted as soon as you are capable of managing "real" logins. It's basically there to let newbie administrators get up to speed with as few problems as possible. Now that you are comfortable with the MySQL privileges, dump it and hope it never comes back... ;-)

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Default_privileges.html

I agree wholeheartedly, but it should be noted that some tools which work with mysql have tests during installation which, at least by default, try to connect as the anonymous user to use the test db. The test script for Perl's DBD::mysql, for example, does this, which makes installing it through CPAN a pain. So, the one drawback to deleting the anonymous user is that doing so adds a wrinkle to some 3rd party tool installations. Every one of these that I've come across, though, has a way to supply a real user and password to use in place of the anonymous user, so you shouldn't let that stop you from deleting it.

Michael