Sergei Skarupo wrote:

Hi Donny,

Thanks for your reply. This table only uses ints and floats, but the
floats are allowed to be null, which means, as far as I understand,
that it's not a fixed row length...

What makes you think that? VARCHAR, TEXT, and BLOB are the variable-length column types <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Storage_requirements.html>.

By the way, Paul DuBois writes about the 4G limit in MySQL, second
edition, and does not mention that fixed rows make a difference as
far as the size limit is concerned.

The 4Gb limit for MyISAM tables is a matter of pointer size. It is easily overcome with the AVG_ROW_LENGTH and MAX_ROWS options. Practically, MyISAM tables can be as large as your OS/filesystem can handle. This is documented in the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Table_size.html>, which nakes no mention, that I can see, of variable-length rows changing the situation. In fact, AVG_ROW_LENGTH would be pointless if only tables with fixed-length rows need apply.

Could you please point me to a page about copying data in chunks on
InnoDB website?

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Converting_tables_to_InnoDB.html>

In any case, it's kind of too late now -- my alter command is already
running :)

True.

-- Sergei

Michael